We are a volunteer-run organisation and depend entirely on the commitment, time and energy of volunteers.
The Museum seeks to involve volunteers to share skills and perspectives, increase our contact with the local community we serve, to ensure our services meet the needs of our visitors and to offer opportunities for participation by people who might otherwise be excluded
The current volunteering workforce (45 at last count) is organised into a number of volunteering teams, each looking after a different aspect of the museum and its operation. Most volunteers are with one of the following teams :-
- The Visitor Services Team who look after all aspects of the visitor experience from greeting visitors, ticketing, serving refreshments and explaining the exhibits. They are the face of the museum.
- The Build Team who are called on when there is anything to make, mend or fit in the museum. They turn their hand to anything from entirely refitting and decorating an exhibit hall to mending a lock.
- The Restoration Team who are responsible for restoring any vehicles or exhibits.
- Archive Team who are responsible for caring for and documenting the museum’s collection.
There are a number of other small teams and individuals who deal with a wide range of tasks including: publicity and advertising, membership and volunteering, finance, funding, vehicle storage services, events, and the acquisition, archiving and display of exhibits.
“I can’t thank the museum enough for what it has done for me. It gave me an opportunity to learn new skills and gain new friends. Spending the last three years with the Front of House Team has improved me as a person in many ways giving me the confidence to operate in a dynamic busy setting. I thoroughly enjoyed working with a diverse team with different backgrounds and knowledge and I will miss the madness of the event days and the last minute rush of visitors just as we are about to close, all great memories. “ – Former Front of House Volunteer
Dundee Museum of Transport is Disability Confident Committed
As a Disability Confident Committed Employer we have committed to:
- ensure our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible
- communicating and promoting vacancies
- offering an interview to disabled people
- anticipating and providing reasonable adjustments as required
- supporting any existing employee who acquires a disability or long term health condition, enabling them to stay in work
- at least one activity that will make a difference for disabled people
Current Volunteering Opportunities
Visitor Services Assistant: WEEKENDS
We are urgently looking for volunteers to join our Visitor Services team at the weekend and play an important role in welcoming visitors and helping them to make the most of their visit. Click here for more details
Contact us directly by email to DerekS@dmoft.co.uk