MidgeT-TD – 1951 (United Kingdom)

As a tribute to Morris Garages, MG is a sport automobile constructor founded in 1924. At first, MG was a Morris retailer created their own models by replacing the bodywork of existing Morris’. After many expansions, the success was there: the demand exceeding the offer, they had enough notoriety to get their proper identity and they parted from Morris Garage. The MG Car Company Limited was born in 1928.

T Series marked the transition between the small series production and the industrial automobile era and its exportation. With the automobile market in high demand, the British government pushed the company to sell abroad. These series, and in particular the TC, TD and TF, were amongst the first models imported in large numbers to the USA justifying the slogan of the leaders: ‹‹Export or die››.

In the lineage of the typically British roadsters, the TD was remodelled to increase the comfort and satisfy the most demanding customers. MG put the XPAG motor of the TC on the new frame developed from the type Y sedan. The TD had a new front suspension with independent wheels, composed by two triangles and helical springs instead of leaf springs. Steel wheels replaced the thread wheels, a first for a MG, along with bumpers, installed for the first time on the Midget TD.

To answer the request of the USA market, the left -hand driving was provided for the first time on a MG.

The TD turned out to be a commercial success since its inception and allowed for an increase of MG sales, in particular toward the USA. The production of the TD ended in August 1953 after the production of 29 915 copies.

Leave a Reply