The first municipal public transport in Dundee was operated by “Dundee & District Tramways Co Ltd”. From 1877, these were generally horse-drawn, but by June 1885 steam cars with green and white livery were introduced. Unusually, the tram lines were publicly built and owned, although initially leased by police commissionaires to private companies. All routes came under direct municipal control in 1893, which allowed the city to adopt overhead electric lines to power the trams. Between 1899 and 1902 the tramways were fully electrified. The first electric tram in Dundee started on July 12, 1900. The route ran from High Street to Ninewells in the West via Nethergate and Perth Road with a later route running to Dryburgh in the North. The peak of the tram network was in 1932, when 79 lines operated in the city. By 1951, many of the trams had not been updated. At least a third of the stock was over 50 years old. A study lead by the Belfast transport consultant, Colonel R McCreary showed that the cost of trams compared with bus service was 26.700 and 21.204 pence per mile, respectively. He advocated abandoning the tramway system in 1952. In October 1956, the last trams were quietly taken out of service. On the evening of October 20, 1956 the last tram (No25) went to Maryfield Depot. Over 5,000 people witnessed the tram leaving the depot at 12:31 am to go to the Lochee depot. All remaining cars were reduced to scrap by burning.
The first trolleybuses in Scotland were introduced along Clepington Road in Dundee during 1912-1914. However, motor buses were gradually introduced from 1921 to supplement the tram system, and double-decker busesappeared ten years later. Electric-powered operated by “Dundee Corporation Electricity Works” were still used in parts of the city until 1961. In 1975, Dundee Corporation Transport became part of the new Tayside Regional Council. Tayside adopted a new dark blue, white and light blue livery for its buses, replacing the former dark green.
Did you ever wonder why a bus conductor gives two rings to the driver to set off?
It is because there’s a national code for bus bells:
1 ring – stop at next stop
2 rings – ready to start
3 rings – carry on at next stop, bus full
4 rings – stop, emergency